Summer is just about upon us and that means that many people in the Southern California region are looking forward to planning pool parties for their kids and friends. This is also that time of year when ideas are swirling on how to create the perfect adult pool party. Whether you are planning a small quiet gathering or perhaps a loud crazy party, allow us to help you out with some ideas and resources for a successful pool party.
Before we proceed and as is customary, we must encourage everyone planning a pool party to consider hiring a professional lifeguard or two to keep guests safe. Drownings are preventable with the right supervision especially if one is planning an adult pool party where alcohol may be served. Don’t take a chance without a lifeguard. You could be preventing a happy occasion from turning into a tragic occasion.
When it comes to planning a pool party, the sky is the limit. There are so many ideas for themes but for the sake of this article, we will suggest a few to jump start your creative juices.
MOVIE NIGHT –
Do you miss the days of drive-in movies? So do we! In fact many of us here on staff remember the Winnetka drive-in theater and was a such a memorable time. Hosting a “dive-in” pool party may be for you! Many aquatic facilities in Southern California offer this theme and is one of those underrated themes.
Simply purchase some inflatable lounge chairs at your local pool retailer. Move your big-screen television outside, or rent a projector for the evening. There are many companies that rent complete packages that include an inflatable screen with projection and sound systems. You actually do not need a special projection screen if you want to save money – you can project the film onto the side of the house if you have light-colored brick or siding, or simply hang a large white or light-colored solid sheet for displaying the movie. Pick a favorite classic, or give your guests a thrill and screen “Jaws.” “The Little Mermaid” and “Finding Nemo” are great choices for a kids’ party.
If you do choose to rent, we suggest:
FunFlicks – http://funflicks.com/ca/los-angeles
Avista Audio Visual Rentals – http://www.avistarentals.com/shop/projection-equipment-rentals/outdoor-screens-movie
Whatever movie you choose, just remember to provide plenty of flotation devices so family and friends can kick back or buddy up in rafts to watch the fun. Set up your own movie theater concession stand and serve popcorn, candy and sodas.
HAWAIIAN LUAU –
A Hawaiian Luau is one of the most popular pool party themes, making decorations easy and affordable. Take your guests on an evening getaway to the Aloha State! Guests should wear their most colorful Hawaiian print shirts. Make leis at the party or buy ready-made ones to welcome your guests. Decorate with bright, tropical colors, bamboo accents and Hawaiian-themed accessories from your local pool retailer, party supply or craft store. Tiki torches and tropical flowers scattered across tables and the surface of the pool provide the finishing touches for a magical evening. Pineapple chicken or ham would be delicious main dishes, or treat your friends and family to an authentic pig roast. Complement the feast with rice and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables reminiscent of a garden paradise.
For Hawaiian Luau themed decorations, check out:
Oriental Trading Company – http://bit.ly/1RZK2nr
BEACH PARTY –
It’s simple to create a beach barbecue party around your backyard pool and is also the easiest of all themes to pull off for a budget. Attire is simple – kick back in flip-flops and swimsuits! Use the children’s sandbox and build a sand castle. Decorate tables with seashells and fish nets. Cover chairs with beach towels. Use plastic pails and shovels, and even Frisbees, to serve hors d’oeuvres and drinks. Float toy sailboats in the pool. Grill hot dogs, hamburgers and corn on the cob and serve classic boardwalk food, like popcorn, snow cones and French fries for your family and friends.
The biggest rage this summer is having mermaids at kids beach parties. Mermaids are all the rage and kids flock to interact with live mermaids swimming in the pool.
If you are interested in mermaids for your pool party or event, simply click here!
A FEW GENERAL TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL POOL PARTY –
- Hire a professional lifeguard.
- Make sure you have some extra towels and flip flops for guests who forget their own.
- Provide a room for guests to change into their bathing suits and leave their clothes.
- Plenty of umbrellas are a must for guests who prefer to relax in the shade.
- Use plastic ‘glasses’ for drinks as broken glass is not what you want to have to deal with.
- Place your pool furniture around the edge of the pool with tables in between where guests can put their food and drink.
- Choose appropriate music for your age group of guests and make sure someone is responsible for keeping it playing.
If you need a DJ, please call our office as we have DJ’s we highly recommend
- Candles come into their own as the sun sets and look very pretty floating in the pool at night. Citronella candles on tables are useful for keeping the bugs at bay and you might like to have some bug spray to hand as well.
- Mark the depth of your pool with waterproof tape for your guests’ safety.
- Spritzer bottles of water placed in ice buckets are great for your guests to spray on and keep cool also provide some sunscreen for guests as it’s all too easy to get burned while sunbathing without realizing it.
- Favors are a lovely touch for your guests and according to your budget you could go for inexpensive flip flops, sunglasses, and sunscreen or bust the budget and go for mini bottles of champagne!