IF YOU MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AND GIVEN FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS
ALL OCEAN LIFEGUARD POSITIONS ARE PART-TIME, $26.00 PER HOUR
ALL YACHT CHARTER LIFEGUARD POSITIONS ARE $26.00 PER HOUR
OCEAN LIFEGUARD CANDIDATES MUST APPLY BEFORE TAKING THE PERFORMANCE TEST. ONCE APPLICATIONS ARE APPROVED, CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED AND GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PERFORMANCE TEST. (LATERAL LIFEGUARDS ARE EXEMPT FROM SWIM QUALIFICATION EXAM)
**WE ARE ACCEPTING LATERAL CANDIDATES WHO ARE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH AGENCIES SUCH AS LOS ANGELES COUNTY LIFEGUARDS, LOS ANGELES CITY AQUATICS AND CALIFORNIA STATE LIFEGUARDS.
Yacht charter and Ocean Lifeguard positions guard swimmers at designated beaches and assignments, perform rescues, administer first aid, warn swimmers of dangerous water conditions, enforce aquatic beach regulations and ordinances, clean and maintain lifeguard equipment, give information to the public, and maintain records and write reports; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Ocean Lifeguard positions will be available primarily on a year-round, part-time basis.
- Ocean Lifeguard employees may be required to work holidays and weekends on a year-round basis.
- Ocean Lifeguard employees must furnish and wear standard apparel prescribed by the Human Resources Division.
- Ocean Lifeguard employees are required to pass a swimming performance test administered by the Senior Lifeguard command staff once a year to retain employment.
- In accordance with California Public Resources Code section 5163, all persons holding Ocean Lifeguard positions must get tested for tuberculosis (TB) when hired and every four years thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
You must meet the following requirements by May 1st, 2023:
AGE: 18 years of age or older.
CERTIFICATES: You must have the following valid certificates:
- American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers OR American Heart Association CPR/AED for Healthcare Providers Certificate.
- Certificate of completion from a USLA Open Water Lifeguarding course dated within the last two years or concurrently working with an ocean lifeguard agency such as Los Angeles County Lifeguards or State Of California.
- Prompt completion of these requirements is encouraged. Failure to meet all the requirements and be in possession of a valid certificate of completion from a USLA Open Water Lifeguarding course by June 18, 2023 or unable to prove employment history with ocean lifeguard agency may result in the termination of the contingent employment. Under no circumstances will employees be permitted to work as a Yacht and Ocean Lifeguard until all requirements are verified and are on file.
- Candidates may be required to obtain California PC 832 (Peace Officer) training certificate from a California approved POST training facility.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License is required at the time of hire.
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification issued by NREMT.
- Emergency Medical Responder Certification
- California PC 832 certificate (peace officer)
All candidates must have the following:
– Must be a U.S. citizen (We do sponsor H-1B work visas)
– Must be a Southern California resident
– Must be 18 years of age of older however over 21 years of age is preferred
– Must have the ability to pass a background check to include criminal background check
– Must have the ability to pass all skills testing to include swim tests (lateral candidates are exempt)
– Must be physically fit and able to perform the job of lifeguard
– Must be available all weekends and holidays (Spring Break, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day)
The screening process will consist of the following components:
1. APPLICATION REVIEW: Please ensure all information is complete and accurate as the responses you provide on the application will be reviewed carefully. If you are successful in this initial screening process, your application will be further reviewed for applicable education, experience, and/or training to ensure all minimum requirements have been met.
2. PERFORMANCE TEST: IF YOU MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AND GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS ON TEST DATES. Once scheduled, you will be guaranteed admission to the examination. (All lateral candidates are exempt)
The performance test will be held at Santa Monica North (between Tower 2 & Tower 18), beginning at 9:00 a.m. on the specified date and is a pass/fail examination which consists of a 500-meter swim that must be completed in 10 MINUTES OR LESS.
- Candidates must provide valid government-issued photo identification (e.g., driver license, military ID, Department of Motor Vehicles ID, or passport) on the day of the performance test.
- Candidates may not wear goggles, wetsuits, rash guards or swim caps made of neoprene during the performance test.
- INTERVIEW: Candidates who pass the performance test will be invited to participate in an interview either on the date of the performance test or a later date as determined by the hiring department. Candidates will be notified of the specific time and location at the performance test. Candidates who pass the performance test will be placed on a list which will be used to fill position vacancies during the next six months (180 days). For each vacancy, only those candidates with the most appropriate qualifications will be considered by the hiring department.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Confirmation of citizenship/legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug/alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs, including marijuana, or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with Golden State Lifeguards. Applicants must notify the Human Resources Officer of any changes in their name, address (home, email), or phone number or they may miss employment opportunities.
VISION REQUIREMENT: Uncorrected vision must not be worse than 20/40 in both eyes together with acceptable color vision. Vision between 20/20 and 20/40 in both eyes together must be corrected to 20/20 both eyes together with glasses or contact lenses. Monocular vision is not acceptable.
If you have undergone any type of refractive vision surgery (or “touch-up” surgery) such as Laser Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK), radial keratotomy (RK), or photo refractive keratectomy (PRK) a year or longer prior to being medically considered for the Ocean Lifeguard position, you must be substantially free of vision problems such as: impaired vision at night or under dim lighting conditions; sensitivity to glare; starbursts experienced around light sources such as street lights or headlights; hazing or blurring of vision; eye irritation and pain; progressive regression of visual acuity; and daily changes in visual acuity. Your vision must be 20/20 both eyes together. If it is not, it may be no worse than 20/40 both eyes together and must be corrected to 20/20 both eyes together with glasses or contact lenses. You will be asked to submit the results of a recent eye examination from your private ophthalmologist documenting the status of your vision.
If you have undergone any type of refractive vision surgery (or “touch-up” surgery) within less than a year of being medically considered for the Ocean Lifeguard position, you may be hired on a conditional basis if you successfully complete a company-provided vision examination prior to hire and at periodic intervals thereafter until one year has elapsed from the date of the last vision surgery or “touch-up” surgery. You must be substantially free of the vision problems outlined in the paragraph above. Your vision must be 20/20 both eyes together. If it is not, it may be no worse than 20/40 both eyes together and must be corrected with glasses or contact lenses to 20/20 both eyes together.
NOTE: The contents of this announcement are for the general information of candidates. They do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Final determination of a candidate’s medical suitability for employment is determined at the time of the medical examination.
We are seeking candidates in the following regions:
– Los Angeles County
– Orange County
– Ventura County
– Santa Barbara County
Please submit interest and/or resumes to email@example.com
No phone calls please!!
ONLINE APPLICATION – CLICK HERE